The Greater Baltimore Asthma Alliance (GBAA) is a community partnership that has been active since 1999. GBAA improves the coordination of asthma efforts by bringing together a range of people, agencies, organizations, and businesses with an interest in asthma.
If you would like to be involved with GBAA or learn more, please email us at email@example.com.
Mission - Helping Baltimore Breathe Easier
Our mission is to promote optimum health and quality of life of persons affected by asthma by increasing awareness, knowledge, and the use of effective asthma treatments and resources.
One of GBAA's primary goals is to increase awareness and knowledge about asthma and available asthma resources. As part of recent outreach efforts, GBAA members have:
- developed a GBAA Asthma Resource Guide
- distributed asthma information and engaged the public in asthma trivia games at the Baltimore City/County All-Star Basketball games
- hosted an Asthma Family Feud at Fallstaff Elementary/Middle School, engaging almost 90 community members
- held an Asthma Awareness Day at W.E.B. DuBois Senior High School for Environmental Science
GBAA also has initiatives to:
- train school staff and students to manage asthma symptoms and reduce asthma triggers
- increase the quality of asthma care and help medical providers connect their patients to additional asthma resources
- reduce vehicle idling and other causes of pollution that can make asthma worse
GBAA is open to forming new partnerships and starting new initiatives. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved or share your ideas.
The GBAA's membership is comprised of leadership from many Baltimore area organizations. GBAA benefits from the participation of the following organizations and businesses:
- Abell Foundation
- American Lung Association
- Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Baltimore City Health Department
- Baltimore City Public School System
- Coventry Health Care
- Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning
- Healthy Housing Solutions
- Maryland Asthma Control Program (DHMH)
- Injury Free Coalition for Kids
- Johns Hopkins Center in Urban Environmental Health
- Johns Hopkins University Children's Center
- Johns Hopkins HealthCare
- Total Health Care, Inc.
- University of Maryland Breathmobile
Leadership and Committees
GBAA is comprised of members from a number of Baltimore area organizations and agencies. We have been very fortunate to have members that are truly committed to reducing the burden of asthma in the greater Baltimore area. GBAA leadership consists of members that share a unique blend of knowledge, expertise and a commitment to GBAA's mission. Currently, GBAA is led by two co-chairs - Margret Schnitzer and Cassia Lewis-Land.
In addition, GBAA has established three committees to address the asthma needs and concerns in the Baltimore area:
- Committee for Promoting Asthma-Friendly Schools
- Committee for Healthy Homes and Communities
- Committee for Engaging Health Professionals
GBAA meets on the first Friday of every month from 9am - 10:30am. Meetings are currently held at the office of the Baltimore City Health Department's Healthy Homes and Communities Division at 1800 N. Charles St., 5th floor. Meeting times and location are subject to change. Please email us at email@example.com for more information. We hope to see you at the next meeting!
If you would like to join our mailing list or learn more about GBAA, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.